Wednesday, August 17, 2011

JMJ 2011 Day 2

 My ID card, by the way... :)
posted 5/1/12
Today was an unhurried day. Mary and I decided to do Route 2 and see the churches in Madrid. We met up at Principe Pio station around 11a (I was late because I woke up late and there were too many people taking the shower late, too). We walked towards the Cathedral of Almuneda and I think we ended up seeing the crypt, which is located at the back of the cathedral. I say crypt because although it was a very nice church, there were buried people there (or just their epitaphs), especially on the floors, along the aisles. Because it was kind of weird for me to walk on it, I always walk around it. Imagine, there were even flowers placed on top or beside these inscriptions. Creepy but also solemn.


Later, we would see the outside of the Palacio Real but got no pictures with us on it because of the crowd (again!). We had lunch at Plaza San Miguel. This was another place I'm looking forward to seeing, a mercado. There were so many choices to choose from and lots of eye-pleasing items! As I have not eaten rice in the last couple of days, I've finally given in to cravings and ordered paella for 4.40E. Expensive and does not taste that good. I ordered one with seafoods on it but unfortunately, the serving was like 90% rice and 10% seafood. We also had frozen yogurt for dessert (3.50E). Now that Is yummy!


Seafood paella with not much seafood...

One funny thing though. Alright, not funny, but perhaps an eye-opener? That people may be the same even you come from different places. As we were eating on the sidewalk of the mercado, there's this "grungy"-looking old woman looking at us and when we looked, she was asking for alms. We were almost done eating at that time and we still have food left so I offered my plate but she refused. I said, "comida." But she again refused. I thought she did not understand what I said and offered her the plate again. She shook her head and then lifted her hand again. We then understood that she wanted money. It just makes me think that people aren't different in so many ways, after all. There are those who just wanted money, refusing any offer of food.

After lunch, we walked around a bit to see Plaza Mayor (at last!!!) but we decided to head back to the park to find some cool shade. We were not alone thinking that because when we arrived there, there were already people setting themselves up for a rest. We chose our tree, near a fountain, and laid down. Eventually, we fell asleep. Imagine that, me sleeping for the first time in an open park without being worried of getting mugged! LOL.


We missed the movies at Calle Falscana (?) so we headed to Plaza Orientale for a cultural program from the Neuf Community but before that, we had lunch (again) at VIPS. Then we were carried away by our curiosity to this small shop with lots of people in it. Apparently, they were selling shoes that look like Espadrilles. Eventually, Mary and I were able to buy our own pair for 8E (with banner). I was also happy leaving this place because I was able to converse in Spanish with the proprietor and he understood me! Here's the full story.

I was also able to have some conversations with my fellow Pinoys. Funny, because they keep asking me where I'm from, meaning where aside from the PI do I come from. When I tell them I'm from back home, they'd be very amaze to find out that I came all the way from there just to be here. Also, as I was talking to these people, especially those kids who grew up in Italy, I realize that they are more nationalistic than those who actually grew up at home. They carry their flag with pride, they speak respectfully of their parents, they speak of their love of everything Pinoy, and their wish to visit home soon, or more often.

Another thing that I noticed. Filipinos, although they take pride in having good hygiene, can be very insensitive sometimes and actually are not clean -- sometimes. I noticed this when I use the bathroom and toilets at the school. The ones I've been with threw their shampoo on the shower floor, leave their other stuff on the counters and even hang their washed clothes everywhere. It was a big difference with our African schoolmates (who left after a day to go to another school) who mop the floor of the bathroom when they were finished. I guess the ones I'm housed with are from a rich group who are used to have helpers to do the cleaning for them. I just felt a bid sad about it.

Anyways, we had dinner at FrescCo, where I was able to use my extra dinner stub again for a buffet. I'm so glad because those who served us where also Filipinos and were very nice to me, and offered help/directions/advice in being safe, especially with my stuff, and stories of living in Madrid :)


No comments:

Post a Comment