Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Salzburg: The Fortress and beyond

posted 21/3/12

As I'm pressed for time, here's the summary of my day as taken from my trusty planner :)

So happy just to have a room of my own and a warm bed that I started out late. Had breakfast (free!) at Haus Steiner, which is very nice, by the way. Filled up the necessary B&B forms and bought a Salzburg Card at 34Euros. This card will allow me to travel around the city for free on the buses for three days, one time use of the furnicular to the Fortress, cable car to the Unsterberg Mountains, and free one-time entrance to almost all Salzburg attractions within three days.

Started out around 12NN. Took the bus 21, got off Hanuschplatz and from there, walked around the city. Visited, of course, the Fortress, Mozart's birthplace, the Dome, walked along the Salzach River, then on to the Mirabell Gardens where part of The Sound of Music was shot.


I wonder what these locks signify...

So anyone wants to play chess with this little girl? 

 I had some of these and they are so yummy! I love it :) 

Lunch was this big bread brought from the city market (4Euro) and juice (3Euro) which I ate while overlooking the town from the castle. Cool, don't you think? :)

My view while having lunch. Happy life! :)

Still feeling the brisk, cold weather, though.


The Dom

A stage diorama for one of the plays that Mozart wrote music to (located at Mozart's birthplace)


The cemetery behind the St. Peter's Abbey (abbey constructed around 700 A.D.) 

The cemetery is spectacular as one can see very old graves and even older headstone and epitaphs. Some graves even include different names of people coming from the same family over generations. Amazing how they can still be together even in death. What was kinda scary though was the overwhelming smell of roses that thrive in this place. Hehehe.

The Fortress as seen from the Mirabel Gardens. The smell of roses from the other garden in this place can be overwhelming. Makes me wonder what's underneath it after seeing the cemetery beside St. Peter's.

Dinner was bratwurst which I bought from one of these sidewalk kiosks and let me tell you, it's really expensive at 4.50Euro (although it was almost half a foot long) and it didn't live up to my expectation. The sausage, which at least was tasty, has this covering that is kind of hard to bite on and personally, I did not like it that way.

There's also this small supermarket in front of my bus stop, Billa, where I was able to buy my chocolates, biscuits, and fruits, and water. The water at the B&B is potable but it's just my personal preference to drink bottled water.

Went home probably around 930p already. This was a long day but it was a happy one :) If only my heel doesn't hurt so much!

*****

I was watching TV earlier today and I found out that all TV shows, even the American ones like Glee and Grey's Anatomy, are all dubbed in German except for CNN (same as what I've seen the other day at Memmingen). Surprisingly though, when my channel surfing hit the 70s above, they were all ads for sex! The house has a wifi signal and I was online to chat with P. As he had lived here from time to time, I mentioned this unexpected "surprise" and he indicated that, from what he saw before, the German ladies are more open to their sexuality than German men. Well, I don't know if this is really true but it was an eye-opener, indeed :)

Here's something for you to wonder about --

No comments:

Post a Comment