Tuesday, August 23, 2011

giant's causeway, baby!

posted 19/3/12

I missed going here the last time I was in the UK but never again. I just had to see this. The only request I had when I my family friends that I'd be visiting was that I get to see this. The trip took us around two hours as we took the scenic coastal route...

I have wanted to post just one picture for this post but I can't seem to help but want to post more. So please indulge me. After all, this was a dream come true! :)

Coastal road to the Giant's Causeway at Antrim

The beautiful columnar basalts are more prominent just around the bend...

Spheroidal weathering and lateritic soil...

Columnar basalt at their coolest! :)

It had been said that the Causeway was made by the giant Finn McCool so he can reach his nemesis at the other side of the island, Scotland. But when he found out that the other giant was bigger than him, he ran back and asked his mother to tell anyone who asks that he was just a baby. So when his enemy went looking for him, he was told that Finn was just a baby and so fearing that Finn could be bigger than him, he went back to his island and destroyed the causeway to prevent Finn from coming back. And so, the causeway stands as it is today.

I know that this story is just myth and I also know that these stones were made by geologic processes that began millions of years ago, but still, I love hearing the story. It might not have gotten the story right but if you're interested, you can look it up, too! :)

Contrasting colors as the lower portion probably reacts with water at high tide...

...and here is me, enjoying the vast columnar basalt around me... I could have stayed all day here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment