Saturday, August 6, 2011

longest overnight stay

written on 7/12/13, 5:27PM


Arrived in Doha's international airport around 1030p and my next flight is scheduled at 0845 the following day. This would be the longest wait I will ever have in an airport! What am I to do?

Since I had nothing to do but "waste" time, I went around their Duty Free shops and just looked around. Not much interested me *sigh* then I went around looking for a restroom where I can freshen up. Lots of people around so I just quickly went in and out. Went roaming around again and spotted internet stations so I qeueud so I can check my Facebook. Woah! Surprise there. Since I logged in at a different time zone, my Facebook account triggered a security check where I had to answer some questions and identify some friends for me to be able to proceed with my browsing and letting my family know that the first leg of my trip went okay. That was cool. I did not know there is such a thing like that.

After my internet time, I looked for a comfortable place to sleep. I saw lots of travelers who were also waiting for their flight strewn all over the place - some in sleeping bags and others on the airport chairs. Others even take one or two of those chairs to make into a bed. Well, that was what I did. I looked for a place that is relatively safe - not too far away from those people sleeping but with enough space for me to be on my own. Okay, I am not a chatty traveler so it can be said that I do not usually make friends easily during travels. For me, it is for my own safety. I travel alone and although I'm sure there are more nice people around than bad, it is better to be safe. A simple talk will do but I won't be sharing personal details. So anyway, I was there, not feeling quite alone, but really bored while waiting for 7AM to arrive so I can go to the pre-departure gate and stand by for my next flight to Rome.

Waiting, waiting, waiting... Sleeping... Sleeping... zzzzzz..... 

written on 7/8/15, 1305hrs


I was just remembering the time when we arrived in Doha. It was late at night and we had to take a bus to reach the arrivals area. As far as I can see from the bus, there were a lot of lights and a lot of construction going on. There were also a lot of signs/instructions on where to get off if you are handling such colors for such cards and other stuff. Apparently, the airport was being renovated or improved so there were a lot of changes in the setup of the airport and changes in areas where passengers depart. I did not understand much of the instructions and was a bit afraid that I might either get off the wrong gate, miss my gate, or get lost entirely. Lucky that I have a long layover, then. So I just went with the flow and disembarked where most people did, those who I noticed have connecting flights.

I previously described what I did during the layover but I am lately recalling that Doha was very hot. I remember taking another bus ride to go to the aircraft that will take us to Rome. It was only before 0700hrs but it was already bright outside, the sun was already high, and it seems that it was already hot, with me catching a glimpse of mirage from time to time. 

I've met some countrymen on the bus and as I've said, I am not that chatty but I learned that they work in South America. So far away, and it's a trip that truly goes around the world. I wonder why they did not just take a flight to the US and then to Brazil? That seems a more straight-forward way to travel. 

On the plane ride to Rome, I probably was getting nervous to start my 3-week long travel adventure because my stomach was going crazy on me. Sort of butterflies in the stomach. I couldn't eat well, I feel I wanted to go the restroom. I think I was really getting nervous. The flight was made fun though by a few kids playing on the other row across from me. The kids were adorable and we even played peek-a-boo for a while. Then suddenly, we were approaching Fiumicino airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment