Thursday, August 11, 2011

Unsterberg and Hellbrunn

Like yesterday, I woke up a little late than usual -- I just love the warmth of my bed! :)

And from my planner:

Breakfast: the same. Had consumed two of these big breads served on a platter per table at the B&B, and sampled almost all that they have on the buffet table: cold cuts, ham (too bad there's no bacon), salads, jams, and cakes! Is it obvious that I eat too much? LOL. I'm just wondering where the couple eating at the other table got their hard-boiled eggs. Hmmm...

Started out at around 11 AM. Started out at the Salzburg Museum, Panorama Museum and a little break at Mozartplatz where bean bags had been laid out at the plaza for the people to enjoy the sun. Yeah, definitely the sun was up but the cold wind was also brisk.

Definitely one of the best things I've seen at the Salzburg Museum. This is an altar that "originally came from Hallein and was acquired in 1858... discovered an inscription...(of) Gottfried von Lungau and Petrus the Venetian...(of) Venetian influence... In the center is the Epiphany, flanked by SS Martin and John the Baptist..."

 One of the earliest mining laws pertaining to the mining of mostly salt in Salzburg

 Through the telescope you will see Salzburg in the olden times

Lounging around the Mozartplatz

Caught up a bus to Hellbrunn (I had to repeat the words to the driver first to make sure I'm on the right bus) and while I was perusing my map, I realized that the last stop was at the Unsterberg Cable Cars so instead of going to Hellbrunn first, I decided to go to the mountains first. When we got there, I was one of the first few people to get in the cable car. It was a very long, and kinda steep ride to the top but it was pretty exciting! The dips of the beds in the mountainside was clearly visible and the view beyond was just incredible. Some mountains from afar were snow-capped :)

 Bus ride going to Unsterberg and Hellbrunn

 View going up

 View from the top (approximately 1800 m above mean sea level)


Stunted pine trees


The cable cars

It was wonderful on top of the mountain. There was a clear walking path that has been littered with broken, whitish granite. The sky was so blue and there were seats there that you can seat on and relax. The mountain is very green although it does not contain tall trees, only stunted pine trees that could grow against the strong winds that inundate the mountainside. Crows (or were those ravens?) were also a sight to behold and they probably are used to people there because I saw some eating out of the hands of some people.

Next stop was Hellbrunn but I had to wait for almost thirty minutes for the bus to arrive. When I got off the gates of Hellbrunn, there was a still a long walk towards the entrance to the palace and the water fountains. As I didn't have much time to explore the palace, I just waited for the fountain tour to start. We were relegated to the water tricks that had been installed in the grounds of Hellbrunn since the time of the former archbishops of Salzburg. There was this big mechanical stage with small figurines that runs on water alone. The guide even turned on a water control where we would pass underneath the water fountain. It was cool but I guess this one trip would be more enjoyable if you're with someone beside yourself. I would have loved to play with the fountain and get wet but that wasn't an option this time around. Some tourists even came prepared with their ponchos, can you believe that? :)


Ran solely with water

 Hellbrunn Palace Grounds

Makes me want to sing and dance inside the pavilion

After this, I searched the grounds for the famous Pavilion where Captain von Trapp and Maria sang their "I Must Have Done Something Good" song and Liezl and Rolf sang "I am Sixteen Going on 17." Fortunately, my search was not in vain! :) I found it near the edge of the big grounds. After this, I was ready to go home (but I had to stop by Billa again for some personal stuff that I need).

I was also able to send my postcards today at the post office beside the Panorama Museum. Average cost for a postcard is 3.50Euro and stamps for 4 is around 7.50Euro.

No comments:

Post a Comment