Saturday, August 6, 2011

the roman dream - arrival

Written on November 8, 2011

After a very long stop-over at the Doha Airport, we boarded the aircraft around 08:30 bound for Rome, Italy. It was a very uneventful trip save for the cute Pakistani children who were seated across the aisle. My first thought when I saw Italy as we were getting ready to touch down was that the place was SO DRY. There was not much green but instead a very dry, brown color of grass, which I thought would easily catch fire -- though I never heard of a "bush" fire in Rome before.


AT THE AIRPORT

Upon arrival at the Fiumicino International Airport, we had to take the shuttle train to the main airport. I must really be tired at this time because I wasn't really trying hard to figure things out. All I know from my research was that I had to ride a shuttle train and go somewhere. I couldn't really remember much at this point aside from the fact that I just followed the other people going inside the shuttle. I'm just glad that there were English speaking people during that time and I heard them discussing where to go. I guess I was not the only confused person there. After getting my bags and going through immigration - the immigration officer just took my passport and stamped it -- I left the airport and sent my host a message telling her that I might be able to meet her in an hour.


As I left the building, I had to figure out where the Leonardo Express was, the train that was going to take me to Rome. This led me to the upper ground floor of a big, multi-level building where all sorts of transportation services can be seen - air, trains and cabs. I just couldn't see where the Leonardo Express platform was! So I had to go to the Info Center to ask for directions. Fortunately, the person who attended me speaks English but with a very heavy Italian accent so I had to repeat whatever she was saying so I can get it right. Apparently, I had to leave the building at the main entrance, turn right, go up the escalator, turn left going towards the tunnel and there I would see the ticket booth for the train.

When I left the building, the heat was really a surprise. I had never experienced this much dry heat and it kinds of drain you. Add to the apparently long walk I had to take, I had to cart along my luggage and heavy pack.


TICKET BOOTH

I had to get in line when I arrived at the ticket booth located to the right of the building before you reach the platform. The two guys before me where obviously backpackers from the way they look - uncombed hair, shirt and shorts, flip-flops, backpacks with their shoes tied to it. They kind of took a while because after discussing what to do, they had to discuss something with the teller, making sure that they would get the time and train right. It comforts my heart that it is not only me who had to go through a lot of asking questions and looking so "foreigner." :)

When it was my turn, I asked for the next train going to Rome and that was around 1500hrs, which was still more than 30 minutes away. I paid the 14Euro and got my ticket. I was reminded to validate my ticket before I left but before I got farther, I had to go back because I wasn't given the right change! "Ah bambina!, I gave you the right change!" the teller said. But really, I couldn't find the 6Euro change -- I wasn't holding it nor was it in my wallet or pockets. But because I just arrived and didn't want to have a fight on my first day, I let it go though I was really having a bad feeling about the trip already. I am kind of superstitious and truthfully, if this was how my trip was going to start, it might set the tone for the whole trip. I didn't want that!


LEONARDO EXPRESS



I proceeded to the platform and looked for the validating machine. I was studying the device but really couldn't figure out if it was working so I asked this one guy who was standing near me. When I told him about my confusion (Excuse me, do you speak English? was my first question though), he eagerly told me to wait until the train arrives before validating the ticket. He was told that once the ticket is validated, we only had one hour to catch the train so it is better that we validate our tickets when we see the train.

When the announcement came for the train's arrival, we were "leaping" towards the machine and putting our tickets on the slot. However, it wouldn't turn green whatever we do. I placed my card in the portrait position, then landscape but nothing! And then I looked at the machine again and saw this word -- Sinistra. Well, I know that one from school! Sinistral fault = left-lateral fault. So I realized that the ticket must be lodged at the left side and not in the middle. When I did that, the machine gave this whirring sound and turned its green light on. Finally! Whew!


Inside the train, there's an area near the door which is allotted for bags alone. I sat near that area so I can look after my bag. Yeah, I know, I'm just a bit paranoid, but I just wanted to make sure that nothing bad happens to my bag. I also chose a window seat so I can see the Roman countryside. The train seat was smaller than I expected though and although the girl seated beside me was average for a European girl, the area felt a little bit cramped.



The countryside was really dry and when we were nearing the Termini Station, I could see the buildings covered in graffiti. Partly, it seems that Rome is just another city, prone to dirt and unpleasantness.



TERMINI STATION

Arriving at Termini Station, I was given the instruction to head towards the end of the Termini Station where my host shall meet me. I had been walking and walking and walking with my bag in tow (it seems that the train parked at the very end of the rail tracks) but there was just this endless tunnel until I came upon an intersection in the tunnel which says "Uscita" followed by a street name. I sent my host a message but it took her really long to reply and it seems that I am really lost. Finally, I was just given the instruction to take the left exit and go look for the McDonald's. I went outside but didn't know where to go - left or right - since McDonald's wasn't visible. Luckily, this bartender told me to go right and just go straight and I will see it (not really recognizable because it blended well with the other buildings beside it) across the street. Finally, I met my host. Whew! What a long day and it isn't ending yet.

AND THE TOUR BEGINS!

After settling down at my host's apartment and taking a quick shower, my host and I finally hit the city center! Anyways, it was only 6 o'clock in the afternoon and the sun is still way up! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment