Sunday, August 14, 2011

afternoon in the louvre

This is one dream come true - visiting the Louvre. If yesterday I was just outside this impressive museum, today, I was Inside!

Welcome to the Louvre!

 

I just couldn't help wondering however why I didn't have any picture of my feet on the Devon and Richilieu signages on the floor. Oh well. But yes, everything inside the Louvre is amazing. And how disconcerting is it to see Michael Angelo's Mona Lisa that small. Okay, I got a warning of this painting being small but truly, this small?!

So can you spot her? :)

Mona was one of the first few paintings I tried to look for when I went inside but before seeing this, I got to see amazing sculptures (I prefer sculptures than paintings because looking at one makes me feel that it's too real, especially if its polished in marble). Some of the sculptures I really admired in the Louvre and wouldn't mind seeing again are these:

Cupid and Psyche, my favorite Greek mythology story

 One of the four giants holding up the world

Victory of Samothrace

I once read that this was the inspiration for the wings of the Nike brand and it's slogan for Victory. I can't be sure if it's real. Will have to research about this. Interestingly, this sculpture's hand is displayed in a glass box near the staircase where this is located.

This is one famous sculpture but for the life me, I couldn't remember it's name! But this reminds me of my cousin, who is a fine arts graduate. In one of her entrance exam to enter the fine arts program in the university, they had to draw a replica of this in different perspective, making the details of the body and the cloth look as real as possible. Now I remember! This is Venus de Milo.

Mythological characters. Poseidon and Bacchus in the foreground.

 
The best unexpected find in the Louvre: the Hammurabi Code. I remember in high school, we were given a photocopy of small lettered article which contained a set of laws that a civilization, Babylon, had used before. That was the Code of Hammurabi. I can't believe I finally saw this for real!

 The beheading of St. John the Baptist

I forgot the name of this painting but I was happy to see this because when I was a kid, I often see this painting in the encyclopedias at home...

I cannot remember the full title of this painting but it has something to do with Cupid fleeing Psyche when she lighted up the candle to see who her night visitor was, even when she was explicitly told not to do it.

This is part of the painting depicting the Coronation of Bonaparte and his wife. It was told that Bonaparte, in his arrogance, grabbed the crown from the Pope and crowned himself. Here, he is crowning his queen while the Church and court members look on.

Now here is something creepy, but actually beautiful. It reminds me of the medieval stories I read about monks, nobles and their faithful pets. This is called the Tomb of Philippe Pot (15th century). Philippe Pot, Seneschal of Burgundy, lies atop a slab borne by eight hooded mourners. Each one carries an emblazoned shield, testifying to the deceased's noble lineage (Official Guide).



And here's another creepy:

Written on its box, it says in French, "La Mort Saint Innocent." So is this creepy or what?

And going back to chivalry, here is a very nice thing to see. I'm guessing this is a ceremonial armor as the details are too delicate for it to be used for war.


Another sculpture that I like very much (but couldn't probably find if I ever get to the Louvre again)....


Again, the Louvre. Inside, looking out -- Isn't she a beauty?


No comments:

Post a Comment