Saturday, August 13, 2011

welcome, paris!

After a very long, night train trip aboard the City Night Line from Munich, I finally arrived at Gare de L'est (Paris Est) at around nine o'clock in the morning. Finding my way out of the station and into the city itself was a bit tricky because I was afraid of using the automated ticket machine, and opted to queue at the ticket counter instead. When it was my turn to buy the ticket, I spoke in English, telling the person at the counter that I wanted to buy a day ticket which cost around 9Euro. However, I was told by that person in English "No English!" and since I don't speak French, what I did was to just point to the picture of the ticket that I wanted.


Leaving the train station, I had to take the Metro Line 4, switch to Line 2 at Babes-Rouchechouart stop. Then from there, I had to get off at Blanche station and walk up to Rue Lepic. Now, getting out of the station, I had to walk this set of stairs that when you come out of it, will lead you to a crossing. When I stepped out into that crossing, I was just bombarded with lots and lots of people just hanging around and I couldn't find the mark saying Rue Lepic. So what I did was cross the streets (all four, like a square) so check the street names. But I couldn't find it until I decided to ask a local. He then pointed me to a not-so-narrow, yet not-so-big lane that's going uphill. Hmmm... I purposely did not look into that side street because I did not really hope to be walking that incline! Unfortunately, I had to and I'm glad my bag's wheels are still sturdy enough to roll against the cobbled street (hmmm... cobbled street!).

So up I went up to Rue de Abessess then turned right to rue Aristide Bruant. I'm glad I found the hostel. Second unfortunate thing was that when I got there, the room I'm staying at was still being cleaned and will be available only at 2p. I decided then to check-in, leave my bag, and start my sightseeing. Actually, I did not really plan to see much of Paris (I did not have time to make a proper itinerary), so I'm swinging this one out, in a way. On my way here, the only places I could think of to go to were the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and Sacre Couer. Anyway, the receptionist was kind enough to explain to me (in English!) that Sacre Couer is just a short walk away. I was pretty excited to learn that so I headed out right away. By the way, I'm staying at the 18th arri.

So here comes the big joke. The instructions she gave me through her map was kind of different from what I'm seeing while walking and eventually got a little bit disoriented as to where I am already. I just kept on walking towards the direction of the church (carrying my backpack with my essentials in it). I thought that I'd eventually find a street marker leading me to it sooner or later. Luckily, I found it and just right on time because it started raining!!! So how many rains does that take now? :)

I went inside the Sacre Couer and stayed there for quite some time. I prayed my rosary to thank the Lord for the gift that He has given me at that moment. The people there were praying the rosary in French (I'm sure that it's the Holy Rosary because of the chant-like sound of it), while I in English. It was a very fulfilling moment, and happy moment to realize that we really are the children of God no matter how different we are in other aspect of our lives.

The Sacre Coeur after the rain

Note: It is not allowed to take pictures inside the Church however tourists would still attempt to take one or two pictures for posterity.

After my prayer, I left and sat on the steps leading to the Sacre Couer. The view of the city from here is very nice, although I couldn't see Eiffel from where I was sitting (or any place for that matter! unless you go look at the extreme right). Anyways, I just sat there for a while, killing time, eating my lunch (apple and bread), and just being grateful.

At around 12:30p, I decided to go back to the hostel since I'm really feeling dirty now (haven't had a shower since yesterday!). On my way back, I went around the church first and saw some Mexicans having a procession (I know they're Mexicans because of the flag they're carrying). I followed them for a while, albeit from a distance. Later, I would chance upon a small square at Place du Tertre, where there were artists all around, painting Parisian scenes or painting your picture, sidewalk cafes, street food and tourists -- lots and lots of them (or should I say, us?). I didn't stay long here because of the crowd and decided to walk again. I saw amazing graffiti, like the ones along rue de Calvaire. But I think one of the best I've seen at this time is the small park called Jardin des Abbesses. Inside, there's a blue where the "I love you" phrase is written in many languages -- including Tagalog!

Note: My mom would later point out that another one in Visayan is also written to the far left.

 A street of Paris in the 18 arrt. Walking up on cobbled street with a trolley bag is no easy task

 Graffiti on street signs

Artists in Montmartre which is near to where I was staying

The next best thing I saw was this beautiful church made of mostly wood that I happened to see almost right across the garden. It's atmosphere was that of a barn, where the natural light is enough to light the church up. I think I would love to hear mass here because it feels more intimate.

So anyway, this was just the first half of my day. I still have another, say seven hours, to tour Paris. I just had to freshen up, take a bath and rest a bit. Fortunately, the room was already ready when I got back to the hostel.

Ciao!

P.S. Websites that may be helpful if you're also wanting to visit Paris:
http://parisbytrain.com/files/2008/10/metro_geo.pdf
http://parisbytrain.com/category/maps/

No comments:

Post a Comment