Sunday, August 21, 2011

Last Day in Madrid

Good morning, Cuatros Vientos!

Woke up to a slightly cold morning that eventually turned hot in the middle of the morning. We started with a prayer and then a mass which was led by the Pope. Unfortunately, I only got bits and pieces of the service because it was all in Spanish (I really do need to study the language more!).

 Relatively clean area, right?

 In prayer, morning mass... 

Here are Gustavo and Mary, hoping to beat the people to the train. We didn't! :P

Right after the mass, we decided to leave right away so that we won't have a hard time at the Metro but when we got there, it was jampacked! We were separated for a while but found each other very fast. Inside the train wasn't any different. But amidst all the people, Gustavo was able to speak with a Madrileno who suggested a place where we can have lunch.

 Our final treat to ourselves. Lunch at a real Spanish bar and real Spanish sangria. Paid my last 20Euro bill here! LOL. I'm already missing the Sangria!

Gustavo's map. A very well used train map, indeed! My map and Mary's fared better than this! LOL.

Lunch, yes. This was our final lunch with each other, signaling the end of this wonderful journey. As Gustavo had said, if ever Mary and I will be in South America and near his country, we should let him know or else he'll be mad. I'm glad to have found these two great people amongst the millions of people here. Others I know had been skeptical about me finding companions online but I guess this was one great experience for me. It just shows that we can still find the nicest people wherever they may be when you have one goal in common and you have trust with each other. For me, they would forever be my friends. Even if we might not see each other anymore, in my heart, they will be there. I thank the Lord for giving me them.

 At one of the buildings at Plaza Colon

 So do you? And have you? :)

At last! Plaza Cibeles without the crowd. It's beautiful!

Last sightseeing in Madrid and dinner with Theresa before I leave for Barcelona at 11PM from the Ave. America coach station. Almost did not make it because I couldn't see the bay area for the coach. Lucky I met a guy who has the same problem and whose wife went around to ask questions. Later, the girl motioned for him to hurry and I just tagged along. Went we got to the upper level, the coach was almost full. I'm glad I had bought a ticket already or I would definitely miss my plane to Belfast the next day! I got seated with a Dominican guy on the bus who doesn't speak English and when I asked him if he had enjoyed the World Youth Day, he answered in Spanish that he doesn't know what the WYD was and that he attended the JMJ. Okay, my mistake. I should have said JMJ! :P When a guy on the other side of him asked what time we would be stopping for a break (in English), he tapped his friend and asked how to say 330am in English. Hehehe. Sometimes, it's really hard not being able to converse in English but sometimes, it's just too bad that we have not learned speaking in Spanish, too. Anyways, the kid was nice so I was patient with him. The couple I was with earlier were seated behind me.

The trip to Barcelona was uneventful. Well, what can I say? It was late and it's dark outside so I slept :P

No comments:

Post a Comment