Monday, August 22, 2011

the immigration interview

This border immigration interview was the longest one that I had since I started traveling.

It started out when I approached the girl officer without a landing card. Ooops. I forgot all about it!

So I had to go out of the line, pick up a landing card, fill it in and then approached another officer and asked if I missed something. No, I didn't. Then she directed me to the male officer. I handed him my papers but he returned it and asked the first female officer to take me because he didn't have a stamp. Okay, so I went to the other counter only to be called back again as the officer was about to bring him the stamp.

So, the interview begins.

Why am I in Belfast? To visit family friends and to sightsee.
Where am I going? To Belfast.
Is this your first time here? Belfast, yes. UK, no.
Where will I be staying? At our family friend's.
How many days will I be spending in Belfast, in the UK? About one week.
Do I know anyone here? Yes, our family friend.
How do you know them? They are my father's godchildren through marriage.
How will I recognize them? (Ummm... I got confused here).... Ummm... They are outside waiting to pick me up. (I don't think that was exactly the right answer).
So, had my biometrics been taken in Manila? Yes.
Let's see. (And proceeded to ask me for my fingerprint on the machine).
Okay, that's good. So is this your first time here? Belfast, yes. UK, no.
When were you here before? I was a visiting student in Cambridge University when I was still in university.
How long did you stay then? One month.
So where will you be staying? At our friend's house. I have the address. Do you want it?
No, it's ok.
(And then runs through my passport again).
The stamps in your passport, are these for work or personal? Both.
Okay. (And proceeds to stamp my passport - finally!)
 It's okay now?, I asked. Yes, you may go through.
Thank you!

And so I picked up my bag, and when I turned around, I found myself alone in the immigration hall. I was the only one left.


*******

So happy to finally see Kuya, Ate and their two kids!!! :) I'm going to a Pinoy home with a nice, warm bed at last! :) At home, Kuya lent me his laptop so I could do FB and other stuff. Thank God! I need a PC to transfer all my pictures :D

No comments:

Post a Comment