Thursday, September 27, 2012

plants for akvavit

In one of our lunches at the NPD, our Norwegian colleagues have mentioned the akvavit, the alcohol one must try while in the country. On our walk up the Preikestolen, I walked partway with the doctor, who was also the wife of one of the mentors in the eight-weeks course who also happens to be a geologist and she also mentioned the akvavit. Now, that made me really curious.

Apparently, it is a hard drink or alcohol (like whiskey or vodka) that is available in Scandinavia. It is made out of potatoes (in Norway). Imagine, an alcohol made from potatoes! And then they are distilled with herbs or plants. It was really interesting to know this and I guess the doctor was happy to share it with me that, while I went ahead to walk up the Preikestolen (she stayed behind for the others at the back), she made a point to pick up some plants that make up the ingredients for akvavit to show me later.

When I saw her husband Dag again today, he presented me with the plants. So happy to see the bag and learn about these plants. Stef even asked for some for her own!

Now, I'm hoping I get to drink akvavit before the course ends.

 Akvavit ingredients and I'm keeping them! Thanks, Dag!

No comments:

Post a Comment