Monday, September 17, 2012

opening day

[temperature today: 8.9C - 11.5C]
written 2013.2.18

The best part of the day? I gained a new friend at breakfast today :)

I woke up so early in the morning so as not to be late for the Opening Day. My officemate and I went straight to the hotel restaurant where there's a breakfast buffet. I headed to the food (where there is rice, thank God!), chose a table, put down my plate, sat and woah! A guy was about to seat on my chair and I realized there's a glass of milk just beside my plate. Someone was already seating in that exact spot! I was so embarrassed I stood up and asked the guy to not leave and seat down on his place. Luckily, he was nice and asked that I sit at the same table. We then got to introducing ourselves and to both our relief, we are both Asians. LOL.

The Opening Day went well and I gained new friends, mostly from the Latin American countries. I also met some of our teachers and listened to very nice, traditional Norwegian songs.

"Wow, so could I practice my little Spanish with you?," I asked one guy.
He said, "No, because I want to improve my English!" 

LOL. They explained that no one spoke much English in their countries so it would be a great way to practice in Norway. I also made friends with one Lebanese who seems to be so nice.

At the auditorium, I was seated beside a Chinese guy. In one of the presentations, there was a talk on territorial dispute and I was like, "Okay, I'm seated beside a Chinese guy so I can't comment much." LOL. Yet it was cool. No arguments occured.


At the end of the day, we had a short tour of the city and then a welcoming at the house of the City Mayor.

Top left, clockwise: Our classroom and my area, view of the city of Stavanger from its highest point, traditional music from two beautiful voices, City Mayor's house grounds, City Mayor's Welcome Dinner (I so love the food, especially the halibut), our organizers and teachers.


No comments:

Post a Comment