Sunday, December 4, 2016

More of New York

remembering this day on 9/23/2017

First order of the day was to see the Grand Central Station which is actually, truly grand. Although my first impression of it was that it is small, y grand with its staircase overlooking the lobby or the main concourse and the ceiling that represents the sky, showing the stars. It is really amazing to find out that this station has 44 platforms! In the Philippines, we only have one platform per station! Imagine how many people, how many destinations 44 platforms can serve. Maybe next time, I will have a chance to go through one of those arches and take a train to somewhere. One day.


After the Grand Central Station viewing, the most important thing today was to  go to St. Patrick's Cathedral to listen to mass as today is Sunday. It was beautiful spending my time with my family during this special mass - the second advent. I feel that it is only apt because He had just fulfilled for us one of our dreams. The church is so huge but what I am so glad about it is it is open to the public but the church-goers are made to be their priority for entrance. The belen was already set up and we just had to go and look at it. Truly, it is universal. The belen was really simple, as it was when Joseph and Mary had to stay in a barn on the day that Jesus was born, and where the shepherds and angels visited. Thank you, Lord, for this blessing.

Simple Nativity scene - just like the ones at home

We tried to have lunch at the Serendipity restaurant. However, waiting for a table was so long (estimated to be one hour) so we decided to eat somewhere else later. We went to Dylan's as well to buy some candies for the kids and I saw this Darth Vader slippers for sale. It was bulky so I am still thinking if I'm going to buy it (I can still go back for it tomorrow, anyway). It would be nice to be a gift for the boys, I'm thinking. We also went to M&Ms where all the chocolate goodies are. I love the vending machine for all M&Ms flavors available. I couldn't help filling the bags up for my favorite (and rare back home). There were a lot of stuff for sale and I even bought this thermos with the M&Ms in the Star Wars universe. It was really cool. We also went to the Hershey's store across the block but I found it smaller than the other one and not much choices. I am not sure if it's just because I saw a lot at the M&Ms first or I just found the place too crowded. Anyways, it's all fun though.

can't get enough of these M&Ms

The chocolate places are already near the Times Square so our next stop was this exciting place. So excited to be actually there! LOL. The lights were so cool and it's just so full of energy with locals and lots of tourists around, taking the sights in, staring, and taking lots of pictures! LOL. The screens showing ads, shows, and news were so bright! And yet, it was so cold! We tried eating at the "famous hotdog" booth and sat like locals at the open tables in the center of Times Square. I don't know why but that hotdog, though it was just a regular hotdog, tasted so good and it was only then that I appreciated sauerkrat. I'd love to have sauerkrat all the time on my hotdog sandwich now. The hot cocoa was also just a regular choco drink but the cold made it taste good, giving me a warm feeling inside. This was one of the most happy experience I have in New York!

 so many things to see!

 the sauerkrat is somewhere there

Times Square at night - view from the viewing deck

Last stop for tonight is yes, one of my favorites! A Broadway show! So I think I am already complete since I've ticked off West End many years ago. And what's best is that I'm ticking off this place with the same play - Wicked, which my sister has not seen yet. I have now seen it in West End, Manila, and now in Broadway. Even though I've seen this show before, it never ceases to amaze me. I can watch it over and over again (and it would be best if it's free! LOL!).

welcome to the world of Oz again

This day was so full of exciting things. Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment