Monday, September 9, 2013

1st Day

I did not go to work today.

My foot hurt and I could not walk so I decided to take a sick leave and put my feet up. I then fell asleep. After a few hours, I finally, really woke up. My foot was not getting any better so I stayed put. I checked my mails, I checked my FB.

I was surprised.

What is happening? My newsfeed had been running with stories about my hometown being attacked by rebels who wanted to raise their own flag in our city hall, our seat of governance, to show everyone of their independence from the country. Are they crazy? Who in their right mind would do that? We are all Filipinos and we live under one flag, one country. But there are those who are not satisfied. They want their own but when given the chance years back, wasn't able to bring prosperity to their land. Instead, the wealth that should have lifted their constituents was squandered. Now, they are raising havoc in my hometown. My hometown which has never become a member of their autonomy.

Am I just dreaming?

I am getting worried.

I called my parents. I cried like a baby.

I am so happy that they are well and continue to be well. They have not heard the gunshots that were reported earlier and where we live was still calm. I am appeased. Everything is just well.

Thank God.

But I can't help about the hostages they took to become human shields. My mind cannot grasp the idea that our city is now under siege.

*****

A funny comment I read on Facebook:

Quiere lang gale sila plakfole (flagpole), dona kita plakfole!

You see, the change of f to p and g to k is unique to chavacano speakers in my hometown. Wherever I am, the distinct sound of Chavacano can be heard even when they speak another language or dialect. It is a beautiful sound. It is the sound of home.


No comments:

Post a Comment