Monday, May 13, 2013

remembering a train ride (part 1)

I realized, while recalling a trip I took in 2009, that I am used to traveling alone. The experience was memorable that I think I should write it down (the back-up of the previous blog from multiply was lost when my external hard drive got damaged) so I can share it with you.

A few years back, I had a two-week training in Jakarta and even before we arrived there, I was already thinking of making the most out of my one and only weekend to go to Borobodur, one of UNESCO's World Heritage site. When I arrived in Jakarta and talked to my colleagues there, many were discouraging me to take a day trip because either it was far, or just because it would only be a day trip. Nevertheless, a friend of a friend, Dewi, found me a travel agency who arranged to have a guide meet me and show me around when I arrived the following Saturday. I decided to take an eight to ten-hour train ride (I love train rides and overnighters) to go to Borobodur and take a plane back to Jakarta in the afternoon.

On Friday evening, I left my officemate at the hotel and took a taxi to the train station in Jakarta. I didn't realize that their station was huge, nice building. However, there were so many people around that I didn't take time to enjoy it. Also, I did not have a ticket yet so that was my first priority -- look for the ticket booth. I asked the security going around the area but when I spoke in English, they weren't able to help as they do not speak the language. Luckily, some people pointed where it was and when I got there, there was already a long queue and it seems that the train was fully-booked. I was really shocked, disappointed and worried because I've already paid for my tour and plane fare back to the city. It didn't help too that the train was about to leave in an hour and there was no chance that there would be another train.

I was feeling down with what's happening but I still fell in line in the queue. I tried asking the person behind me if there's a chance I could still get to Jogjakarta but they told me they don't speak English. I asked someone else, but no help there. Later, I think that people were aware of my plight because even those in front of the line were turning their head back to look at me. It was also probably disconcerting for them because not only was I a foreigner who look like them but also, I was a female traveling alone. I noticed that in the very long queue, there were only about five females and all of them were accompanied by either male family or friends. Anyway, I was fortunate enough that the guy in front of me (whom I also asked before) turned to look at me again and told me in slow English, "I speak little English." Thank you, Lord! :)

So when I told him what my problem was, he told me that it's okay, they are going to add three more trains! "What, you mean, three more? What time would those three leave since I need to be in Jogjakarta by 7 o'clock?," I asked. He shook his head, no. Three trains, he said. So I said, yes, three trains. The number three kept going back and forth between us until I realized that he did not mean new trains but three coaches which will be added to the back of the train! Funny!

So I told you already that even the people in front of the queue noticed me and when the ticket booth opened again, they apparently were told that there will only be twenty seats available. I noticed them counting from one until they reached me at Twenty! - yes, twenty - and they were giving me smiles and signs of reassurance. So thankful to all these people. So the queue moved and I got my Eksekutif ticket. So happy! And yes, if you realize it by now, the train is leaving later than the published time.

I went up to the platform only to realize that I didn't know which platform to be on since there were a lot of numbers in the ticket and nowhere does it say there, "platform." I asked around again and the guy who looked at my ticket told me that we have the same coach number and if I'd like, I can join his group. I did and was so grateful for their help. Later, I saw the guy who was in front of me in the queue and when the train arrived he gestured to me to follow. The first guy then said to me, "You at the back, seat. I seat here (near the front)." Okay, so I went on and realized that I was seated at the very back of the train. My goodness!


No comments:

Post a Comment