Monday, May 13, 2013

Looking Back, part 2

This entry was posted in my old blog and I decided to move it here to log all my travel adventures in one site. This entry was looking back at a trip that I made years ago, the second time I traveled to Cambridge, England for a Visiting Student Program. 

London, England

What’s a trip to the UK if you don’t visit London, right? Right! So when we were there, E and I set a weekend to visit this beautiful city. This was also the best time to see our friends and for me to deliver B’s contact lens and gifts from the family. See, killing two birds with one stone! But before I could deliver the stuff I’m carrying, we sort of got lost first because apparently, there are two platform 9s in the Paddington station from the Tube. It’s just good that B knows her way around and was able to find us (same goes with E’s friend).

Pictures(cc): Statue of Queen Bordecis along the River Thames; the top of Big Ben (look how similar it is with the clock found in the entrance of Trinity College; a direction marker (what is this really called?) near the Big Ben; statue in front of Buckingham Palace.

Hmm… I’ve read somewhere that when a statue has horse with its two front legs up, that means the rider was victorious and if one leg is down, it means that the rider either injured or had fallen in the battle.

 

This is inside the London Aquarium. I was glad E insisted of going here because I wouldn’t have bothered to before. Now, I can say that I saw Bruce and Nemo up close with other interesting creatures (look at the green creature in the next picture). I just could not remember its name but for sure, it’s something from the eel family.

By the way, I would like to thank E for sharing these pictures since my analog camera was not working in very dim conditions.

Of course, the Museum of Natural Museum wasn’t to be missed, especially since B’s school is just nearby. The museum was wonderful -which reminds me, I should visit our own National Museum soon-, with bays going to pre-historic creatures such as dinosaurs with its skeleton reconstructions, dioramas, and discussion of mass extinction that removed them from the face of the Earth, There was also a wing dedicated only to minerals and ores. I was really amazed to see some minerals whose crystals are bigger than the half a fist size samples we have at our own laboratory classes. Too bad, I just couldn’t touch them. Ore samples that I only see in books came alive for me that day. Imagine, cubic gold nuggets, dendritic silver and gold deposits, copper, and even asteroids, in one big room! Now that I’ve written this, I remember that there are fossils and mineral samples lying along the hallways of the Earth Sciences in Cambridge.



Another experience E and I wouldn’t miss was a West End musical so on another night, we went to London to watch Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty’s Theatre. When we arrived at West End, we almost did not make it to the show because we got lost. There were a lot of theatres showing different plays and musicals. Since we were so desperate and running so late (we didn’t have tickets yet), I took up my courage and asked the first person I saw, who looked like a Londoner, where the theater was, only to be told, ‘Sorry, I don’t know. I’m actually from New York.’ What the heck! Nagtanong nga, sa maling tao pa talaga! The next people we asked were of no help either. As we kept on walking (thank God, it was in the right direction this time), the map copied began making sense and in the end, we finally found the theater with time to spare for a couple of pictures. I’d actually like to talk about the play but this is getting too long and might bore you already. Suffice it to say that the production was beautiful (there was even a cute guy playing in the orchestra hehehe). If you want to see pictures inside the theater, sorry, we don’t have any because it’s not allowed. But you can ask yung mga makukulit na Intsik na kasama naming nanood. Sinisita na sila, wala pa ring pakialam!Trigger happy sa camera Hehehe

On our way home to Cambridge after this weekend trip, we walked along the River Thames first to say 'good night and hope to see you again, London'. Below is the view of the Tower Bridge along the riverbank, Tower of London side. Again, thank you for the picture, E.

No comments:

Post a Comment