Friday, July 29, 2011

visa and more visa

the days leading today was a bit stressful for me as i wait for my schengen visa to arrive. as i was discussing my dilemma to a friend of mine (who was denied a visa twice), it seems that there are really differences in how embassies handle visa applications. for me, the easiest, or should i say, more friendly and efficient applications was for the uk and australia. i would have also said japan but there were just too many papers to prepare, especially if you are visiting a friend.

let me summarize here my visa application experiences:

uk - my first time to apply for visa for the uk was when i was in university. i was sponsored and my visa was courtesy gratis. the second time was the same. for this last time, i am sponsoring myself so i had to go through the whole process (and they have a different application procedure now, unlike last time). i prepared my documents including the managers cheque made out to the embassy (Php5000+), applied online, set my appointment, appeared on the scheduled time at their visa center at pasong tamo and, here's where it's a bit unexpected, wait for a long while for my number to be called and have my documents reviewed and submitted, paid the fee. then i waited again for a couple more minutes for my biometrics to be taken. after that, i was able to get my visa in just less than five working days! how easy was that?

australia - had to go to australia for work purposes. i filled out the application form, prepared my documents including the managers cheque named to the embassy (i just don't remember for how much), went to the visa center at makati. i was told that a decision will be made after a week but as i was pressed for time, had to write on the spot a letter to the consul, asking humbly to expedite my application process. we were set to leave less than a week. the letter must have work because i received my visa via courier a few days before we were about to leave.

japan - booked our plane tickets to japan when there was a seat sale. lucky for us, a couple of friends live nearby so we were able to ask them to sponsor us. the application was just too "papery" for me for all the documents that we needed to prepare at our end, and for the documents we need to ask our friends to send to us. we also had to prepare an album to show that we are indeed acquainted. however, i do understand the need for these documents so we can't complain. my friends and i lodged our application in one of the accredited travel agencies located at dusit hotel and paid around Php2500. after a week, we were able to claim our visas at the agency. unfortunately, one of us didn't receive a visa.

schengen via spain - this must be the longest and stressful application that i had. it was also my first time to be really interviewed in the consulate. lodged my application through a well-known agent, told that i was to go to the embassy at a certain date and like during my uk application, had to wait for my turn at the window. i was asked a lot of questions regarding my purpose, finances, work, and family. there were questions that i expected and others that were not. it was only later that i realized that they were also important questions. when all the questions were asked, i paid the Php3760 fee and was asked to pick-up my passport at a certain date (12 days after the interview date). i wasn't told whether i'm getting a visa or not. however, i asked that it be sent to my office. the expected date came but there was no passport. i called the consulate and was told it was still being processed. maybe they just have massive applications lately because of the world youth day. it was only after another week (and a couple of days more) that i was able to receive my passport and visa.

what's next, you ask?

a us visa, perhaps? i dread the day that i will need to apply for one. i hear that theirs is one of the most difficult (and may i say, unforgiving?) visa application there is! when that time comes, i hope i will just breeze through it. like my friend said in her interview,

"i only saw your airport before! now, i want to see more of the US of A!!!"

LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment